In 2017, the National Center for Education Statistics
reported that approximately 20% of youth ages 12-18 were victims of bullying at
school. Bullying examples included
rumors, insults, a student being pushed, a student threatened with harm, and
the list continues. As an educator, I
unfortunately face instances when a child bullies another child. I am educated and equipped to help the
children in the situation if it occurs in the library. What frightens me is that a lot of bullying
incidents happen on the school bus, in the bathroom, on the playground out of
ear’s reach of teachers. As well, I’m
concerned that 20% is on the low end and I think the true percentage could be
higher. I wonder if this survey was
administered to all students in the United States. Students deal with a lot in today’s
society. The aforementioned study only
included “school” as in on the bus, in the classroom, etc. It doesn’t begin to identify if students are
bullied in other ways, especially cyberbullying. With the use of cell phones and devices,
students are around their peers more than while they are just at school. This leads to many instances of cyberbullying
through email, text, and social media.
According to research from 2016, nearly 1/10 students
(middle through high school) have sent a sext.
This isn’t surprising and I actually thought it may be higher regarding
the widespread use and ownership of cell phones by teenagers. What surprised me is that this rate significantly
increased if a young person was simply asked to send one. It increased and nearly 6/10 young people sent
a sext when propositioned or asked to send one.
This shows how young people can be easily influenced or pressured into
activities they may not intend to engage in through normal circumstances.
Bullying lasts long beyond the playground. There are workplace bullies and “queen bees”
who want to see coworkers fail or removed from positions. Of advocacy groups for bullying I saw in the
resources, there was even a “Workplace Bullying Institute” and this was
something I never knew existed. While I
have never felt personally threatened by a colleague, I know some of my
colleagues have. As educators, we must
complete modules each year for topics like blood borne pathogens, proper use of
a fire extinguisher, and bullying (in regards to the children we work with
daily). It is good to know resources are
available to adults who have felt threatened or bullied in the workplace.
Interestingly, as October is Bullying Prevention month,
my guidance counselor and I are co-teaching this week in the library. With our older students (2nd-4th
grade), we are going to cover topics related to substance abuse because it is
Red Ribbon Week. Also, we are going to
cover bullying, what to do if you are being bullied, and how to avoid being a
bully. We are going to show the Brain
Pop, Jr. video (which was mentioned by AASL), but we are also going to use some
of the videos seen here! We will be reading You’re Mean, Lily Jean
and Llama Llama and the Bully Goat to our younger students (K4-1st
grade). We will also use some of the
videos previously mentioned. I found it
so interesting that one of the resources from AASL mentioned guidance
counselors and librarians teaching together for the topic of bullying and I am engaging
in this activity this week!
Resources:
U.S. Department
of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2019). Indicators of School Crime and
Safety: 2018 (NCES 2019-047), Indicator 10. Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=719
Patchin, J. W. (2019, July 17). Youth Sexting in the
US: New Paper in Archives of Sexual Behavior. Retrieved
from https://cyberbullying.org/youth-sexting-archives-sexual-behavior
Workplace Bullying Institute: Retrieved from
https://www.workplacebullying.org/
It's great that your school includes bullying incidence training at the beginning of the year. My school made us watch a video about what bullying looks like, but did not provide any real-life solutions. Many of the students at my school feel like targets. Many times those kids will shut down or sometimes they act out. It's such a hard situation to manage. I love the idea of the librarian working with the guidance counselor to educate students.
ReplyDeleteI love that you mentioned co-teaching in your post! I really believe that this is an imperative practice in any school. I hope that when I am in my own library, I get to continue this practice! Great for you and your school for serving your students in such a positive way!
ReplyDelete