Saturday, November 9, 2019

Makerspaces and littleBits!


In this week’s module, as I searched for a meaningful blog regarding maker spaces, I was drawn to Colleen Graves’ blog with her introductory questions.  She posed the following questions and although I’m learning/creating a makerspace in my school library, I found myself quickly clicking on her linked questions to read the answers.  Here are the frequently asked questions she addresses on her blog.

·       What is a Makerspace?
o   Graves answers this question with a list of several bulleted points.  Makerspaces are places where people create, not consume.  Makerspaces are places where you can learn and grow together.
o   I never really knew what a makerspace was until I entered the MLIS program.  My school library did not have a designated space for students/staff to explore and create.  I quickly jumped on board and started making a space for the people in my school building to create.  I have several STEM manipulatives, arts and crafts materials, Makey-Makey kits, puppets with a theater, and the list is growing.  I want to offer a creative space to my students especially.
·       What is a Maker Librarian?
o   Graves shared tweets entered into a contest she posted on Twitter.  She asked on social media, what a maker librarian was and offered a tee shirt as a prize.  She had several entries.  One entry said a maker librarian is learning, doing, risking failure, etc.
o   I’m not sure if I can call myself a Maker Librarian YET, but I want to do more with my space in the future.
·        How can I truly run a library AND a makerspace? (I am dying to know this answer.  I honestly feel like I need a library assistant to check books in, check books out, teach a lesson, and offer the maker space to my students.)
o   My burning question was answered and my stress has decreased.  Basically, Graves shares that your library is still your library; the makerspace is simply an extension of the library.  You can have both.  Perhaps, in my own school library, I should focus on offering my maker space more in my flexible afternoon scheduling instead of during my morning classes.  The main thing is to offer a space for learning, reading, and creating to our students!
·        What kind of activities can we do?
o   Anything!  In looking at Graves’ suggestions, there aren’t any prescriptive elements in her answer.  Simply, do what you have the tools to do or offer.  Let your patrons/students use their imagination (along with any tools and materials you have available for use).

Why did this particular blog stand out to me?  I saw in the graphic on the home page, a Makey-Makey kit.  My school purchased 15 Makey-Makey kits and they are housed in the library.  They are in my system ready for checkout, but most of the teachers are nervous about using them solo.  I have partnered with a handful of teachers thus far to create fun projects.  As I moved through the site, I found that Graves has created several Makey-Makey lessons and has helped write a book with Makey-Makey experiments.  Graves’ Collaborative Makey Makey Sensory Maze (check out the video!) blew my mind!



Although intrigued by her Makey-Makey resources, I really enjoyed learning about littleBits.  In a resource created by Graves (littleBits for Librarians), I found a new learning tool I never knew about.  LittleBits are electronic bits that snap together using magnets and allow users to create and learn while having fun.  I read the document created by Graves and everything sounded wonderful.  It included that students and adults were fascinated by littleBits and could play and tinker all day.  There were tips from several reputable librarians with pictures showing the littleBits in action.  However, I didn’t fully understand how they worked because I’ve never tinkered with them in real life.  If you haven’t seen this technology, watch this quick video above!  LittleBits are amazing!  I think students and teachers would have a great time using them to make, create, or learn a bit about science and engineering.

This week’s module has pushed me to reflect more on the tools and materials I have offered my school library in my maker space.  While I have wonderful resources, I think I need to take a step back and figure out how to offer more time with the materials in this space.  I’ve been challenged and inspired this week by the reading, exploring others’ maker spaces, and finding Colleen Graves’ Create + Collaborate Innovate blog.

Resources:
Graves, C. (2019).. Create + Collaborate Innovate. [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://colleengraves.org/

littleBits Electronics. (2013, April 2). What is littleBits?  Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPHj2H1C8JE

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Audrey. Thank you for sharing this blog post--I find myself in the same boat as you. I am not sure how to fit makerspace activities in to my library as the sole librarian--anytime I am not at my desk, no one can check anything out. But as you said, Graves has a lot of good advice about how to do it and more importantly about why. Great post!

    ReplyDelete