Tell me, teacher.
Have you ever found the “almost” perfect video to show your class, but
there is a minute or two of irrelevance that turns you away? Vibby is your answer! Vibby is a “lightweight video editing tool”
used by thousands of teachers to make the most of their time and their students’
time. With Vibby, anyone can edit a video
as long as they have the web link from YouTube, Facebook, Google Drive,
Dropbox, Vimeo, and the list goes on!
Once the link is pasted, the next part is a breeze. The user can edit/shorten videos to clip out
the most important parts they want to show a class. For example, I recently found a clip to show
my class on bats, but there is a distracting part near the beginning. With Vibby, I can create a new vib of the
same video and clip the part I don’t care to show my students. Vibby allows the user to pause the video to
add comments or guiding questions. Once
edited and saved, the user can then share the link to the new video.
Steps for Getting Started:
·
Visit Vibby to learn more about this tool
and how it could work for you!
·
Sign in with your Google (or other email
account) and use the tool for free!
·
Find a video that is “publicly hosted” such
as a YouTube video.
·
Copy/Paste the web link of your video into
Vibby and click Start.
·
Edit your video to remove distractions and
add comments.
·
Save and share your new video!
·
Follow others on Vibby to find more edited
videos that work for you/your class.
Quick Education on Vibby (as seen on the website):
Applications for Education:
As I opened this tool during my module review, I knew I
had to try the tool. I used a quick
video on bats that I showed to one of my classes recently. This video is publicly hosted on
YouTube. The video is fun, it shares
some basic facts about bats, and it shows great video of bats eating. However, there is about five seconds at the beginning
that could cause some students to go crazy because there is a horse with large
teeth laughing. While it may not seem
like a big deal, if one or two students think it’s hilarious, it could set the
tone for the complete video and the time would be wasted trying to settle the
class. So, I pasted the link, deleted
the distracting part, and voila, was ready to go. I didn’t have to “play” with the video in
front of the kids and have them ask why I was fast forwarding, etc. Also, goodbye YouTube ads and other
distractions!
So, a basic application of this tool is to remove
unwanted or unnecessary content from a video to deliver a cleaner version to
students.
Another perk of this tool is that you can add comments
or guiding questions at various points in your video. As a teacher or librarian, this would help
add purpose to using a video during instructional time. You could use it as a review to ask a
question, or you could use it as a chance to make students stop and discuss
something in the video with their neighbor, etc.
Students can use Vibby themselves! As most schools are one-to-one with technology, if a student has a device, they can use this tool. The tricky part would be if students don't have access to YouTube or other sites. If they do, I had this thought. If a teacher is teaching the students about the phases of the moon, he/she can direct students to a specific video about the content. The teacher can then tell students they must create a vib to show their understanding of the phases. A student can copy/paste the moon phase video into Vibby and then edit it however they creatively see fit. During editing, students can add comments. I can see a student adding comments like “I see the moon in the such-and-such phase because this is happening” and so on.
Final Thoughts:
Vibby allows you to save your vibs (edited videos)—how nice to have things streamlined in one place versus having to search year after
year. Also, Vibby works like Twitter,
etc. where you can follow others who create vibs. You can then use/watch their vibs and get
more ideas from awesome people!
Why waste five minutes of instructional time when you can change a video and show your students what matters most in three minutes? This tool could be a game changer for your classroom or library!
I briefly looked at Vibby when choosing a tool to post about this week, so thank you for sharing this information. Thinking back on projects I’ve done just this semester in the SLIS program, this tool would have been great for me to use so I’ll definitely spend some time with it for the rest of my program. I like your example of using students Vibby to clip parts of videos to show understanding of the material - I think that is an excellent option for assessment.
ReplyDeleteAudrey,
ReplyDeleteWow! This is really cool! As a teacher I'm always looking for different online project my students can complete without a huge learning curve. A few years back I had students create an iMovie, but students struggled as the technology, though simple, was truly a bit more intense than a hour-long class could cover. Students who did well on the project already knew how to use the program. It was a bit of a grading nightmare. Vibby would be the perfect tool for such an assessment.
Thank you for sharing!
Rachelle Swearingen
Hi Audrey,
ReplyDeleteVibby is such a useful tool for teachers and students as it helps to eliminate irrelevant materials from a lesson. Your blog provided a very helpful overview as to how easy it is to navigate even for students. I have not personally used Vibby at this point but I will certainly be using it for future lessons. Thank you for your information!