Students who are differently abled need inclusion and
statistics prove that this type of academic setting is beneficial for both
mainstream students and students who receive special services. As I read information for this week’s module,
I reflected greatly on my work experience.
I have been an educator for 14 years and I have worked with students
from special services each year. As a 5th
grade Science and Social studies teacher, I taught general education
classes. However, daily students from a
special education classroom would join us for these subjects. These students each had an IEP
(individualized education plan) with accommodations. Close proximity of seating in relation to the
teacher inside the classroom, oral administration of quizzes and tests,
abbreviated tests, use of overlays during reading, and verbal prompting were often
included on each IEP. These
accommodations were vital to the overall success of each student. However, when a teacher is tasked with
differentiating instruction for 25 students and then additional accommodations
are added, it is sometimes difficult to pull a small group or individual for
testing while administering a test to a full class of students. My district recognized the needs of the
students and the teacher in this type of situation and purchased Kurzweil. Teachers were able to monitor students and
ensure that students who needed oral administration were able to receive this
service during testing. Many other
resources have become available in recent years to aid students who are
differently abled and this has been such a positive change for students and
teachers.
After searching for a web
tool which could be used as adaptive technology, I came across a tool called
Snap and Read (Click here to
go to the site!) which encompasses many of the technologies needed to
assist students with the aforementioned needs/accommodations. The tool, Snap
and Read, includes the following:
· Text Leveling (It can adjust the level of text within minutes without changing meaning.)
· Translation (translates into 100+ languages)
· Study Tools (can put text into outline to allow for note-taking)
· Remove Distractions (will remove unnecessary content from a webpage)
· Color Overlay (allows a user to change colors to highlight text)
· Picture Supported Dictionary
· Bibliographer (allows citing on the spot)
· Screenshot Reader (users can select a box of text and it will be read aloud)
· Readability Analyzer (gives text level of a web page)
· Data Collector (allows the teacher to see how much students read and grade-level of text)
· Annotation (allows note-taking and saving of text from PDF or web pages)
It is employed in over
3,000 school districts, benefiting students greatly. It can be used in many formats (Google Chrome
extension, iPad app, online, PDFs, and the list goes on). The pricing is also very reasonable
($4.99/month per subscription or $0.50-2.00 per student annually if purchased
for multiple students within a school district). I signed up for a free trial and tested the
product out! I really enjoyed the “Remove
Distractions” feature and think this would be beneficial for students,
especially the young students I teach. I
also changed the text on one website to simplify vocabulary. It changed the word astronaut to “space
travelers” in one part of the text. I am
not sure if this is totally helpful as most students would know what an
astronaut is, but they may be more likely to know the word space before astronaut. I used the overlay feature and screenshot
reader features and both worked well. I
think this tool would be helpful overall but students (and teachers) would need
a tutorial to know how to use it. As
well, it would be important to train students to actually use the tools in
their toolkit.
In conclusion, I am
thankful that there are tools like this one available. Students have such an opportunity today that wasn’t
around even 10 years ago to aid their educational careers. Also, teachers are the beneficiary in this
situation as well and are now more equipped to help students with various
needs.
This tools looks awesome. I really appreciate that you included a bulleted list of features. It's eye-catching and gives teachers, who are always overloaded with information, quick access to the perks of the tools.
ReplyDelete